Exercise and Skin
Exercise and Skin – Regularly breaking into a sweat through exercise not only has benefits for our general health and well-being, but it also has some serious advantages for our skin. In this month’s journal, we look at the pros of exercise and how to maintain that post-workout glow.
Whether you are a yoga lover, a cycling fanatic, a regular runner or a gym bunny, there’s no doubt that regular physical activity has a myriad of health benefits that go beyond a toned physique. Exercise, in whatever form takes your fancy, can have a positive impact on the health and appearance of your skin.
Benefits of Exercise on Skin Health:
- Enhanced Blood Circulation: Engaging in exercise stimulates blood flow, which, in turn, delivers oxygen and essential nutrients to the skin’s cells. This heightened circulation contributes to a radiant, glowing complexion, full of vitality.
- Collagen Boost: Exercise encourages collagen production, the protein responsible for maintaining skin’s firmness and elasticity. This effect promotes a more youthful appearance, as fine lines and wrinkles are reduced, and skin maintains its suppleness.
- Stress Reduction: Exercise acts as a natural stress reliever, releasing endorphins that uplift mood and alleviate stress. This reduction in stress can be reflected in the skin, as cortisol levels decrease, reducing the likelihood of skin flare-ups and irritations.
- Detoxification: Sweating during exercise acts as a natural detoxifier, purging the skin of impurities and toxins. This process helps to unclog pores and prevent blemishes, fostering a clearer and more refined complexion.
- Weight Management: Maintaining a healthy weight through exercise can help prevent certain skin conditions exacerbated by obesity, such as acanthosis nigricans or chafing.
- Regulation of Hormones: Exercise can help balance hormonal levels, which is particularly beneficial for individuals dealing with hormonal acne. Properly balanced hormones contribute to a clearer, more harmonious complexion.
There are some workout watch-outs to consider when taking into consideration exercise and skin
Outdoor exercise, while exhilarating, can lead to increased sun exposure, especially during peak hours. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can accelerate skin ageing and heighten the risk of skin cancer. Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30+ and protective clothing during outdoor workouts.
For some people, excessive sweating during exercise can lead to acne breakouts, particularly if the sweat is left on the skin. To combat this, ensure you cleanse your face post-workout and avoid wearing heavy makeup during exercise.
Repetitive movements or friction during exercise can cause skin chafing, resulting in redness, irritation, and discomfort. To mitigate this, opt for moisture-wicking, breathable clothing and apply a lubricating balm in prone areas.
Vigorous exercise may lead to dehydration, leading to dry, flaky skin. Always hydrate adequately before, during, and after exercise to maintain healthy, supple skin.
Exercise is a formidable ally in the pursuit of radiant, healthy skin. Its many benefits far outweigh the potential drawbacks. By safeguarding skin with sun protection, maintaining proper hygiene, and staying hydrated, you can unleash the full potential of exercise to reveal a luminous complexion. Through regular exercise, you are investing in the long-term health and beauty of your skin. Go ahead, embrace the glow!